Carrots, Anyone?

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Um...so about that 'jogging = joy' thing...

OK, so it still feels great, but today I think I discovered how 'weak' I am. Today, instead of the traditional TG thing of doing the elliptical for 30 min, I went jogging with a co-worker on one of the paths at work. We did 18 minutes of jogging and 5 of walking, and it EXHAUSTED me. Totally tired me out. I had to walk twice during the 18 minutes because I just couldn't keep jogging. Granted both times I walked for a minute or less, but it was frustrating to me. I think I had problems getting through this jog for a couple reasons:

1) It was slightly hilly - just hilly enough that my muscles had to work harder and I think I got tired much more quickly. Amazing what two small inclines can do to stamina!

2) When I jog at home, I walk for 5, jog for 8-10, walk for 1-2, jog for 5-8, walk for 1-2, jog for 5-8, etc. I have not jogged 15 minutes straight before, and I think my body / stamina was not used to that.

Either way, when I got home, I actually WANTED to go for a jog - I felt like I didn't give myself a good enough work out - it wasn't satisfying, so I wanted to end the day on a good note and have a good jog. So I did. I did my shorter 0.8 mile loop (vs. the longer 1.5 mile one) in 13ish minutes, and it felt great.

I think I should keep the perspective that hey, I wasn't even jogging 6 weeks ago (hell, I was sedentary since freshman year of college 12 years ago), so the fact that I'm up to 2.3 miles each time I go out, is pretty amazing.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger Aimee said…

    YOU're amazing, my little Energizer Bunny... You really do just keep going and going. Big gold star for you!

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Carrots, Anyone? said…

    hee hee thanks! It is getting easier (inch by inch) so I shouldn't complain :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home