Carrots, Anyone?

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My fitness & eating, T's surgery

So Team Guidance started Tuesday, February 26. Tomorrow will be the 10th time going (5 weeks, twice a week). I actually have to bow out tomorrow and Friday because my dad will be coming into town, which is making me anxious, but I will find a way to jog at home after I do dinner with him and my grandma both nites.

BUT, I'm feeling great - continuing to feel great, and I can't believe it's been over a month since we've started. My friends comment that I look different - which I don't quite see, but it's nice that something's showing to other people. I'm trying not to put too much emphasis on weighing myself every week, instead focusing on whether or not I ate well that day or was active. This is because I've seen my weight fluctuate up and down 3 lbs within the span of 3 days - it's not a reliable measure of actual progress towards eating right and being active. My goals every week are to:

1) eat 1500 calories on average each day (to be averaged by the week)

2) do at least 30 minutes of activity each day

The first goal, I am measuring through a combination of the weight watchers method and counting my calories. I don't want to focus solely on calories, because proper nutrition depends on a combination of calories, protein and carbs. I'm using the weight watchers workbook tracker (to track my intake of fruits, veggies, water, oils, and milk), and instead of counting down points, I'm counting down calories. I used multiple websites to figure out my daily caloric need, which stands at roughly 2200 calories. If I eat 500 less calories a day for each week, I am able to lose 1 lb weekly (in general). So, I've made a goal to have, on average, 1500 calories a day, assuming that I'll go over some days, and under others. This is like using the weight watchers 'flex points'. So, my caloric intake so far for the past four days (I started on Easter):

Easter Sunday: 2167 (activity: 45 min. bellydancing, 20 min. free dancing)
* I ate WAY too much this day: all my calories were from the one sitting for easter dinner. I stuffed myself and felt so full I was almost sick. I was mad at myself afterwards for doing so, but was determined to be focused on Monday.

Monday: 954 (activity: 30 min. dancing)
* I was HUNGRY after my morning snack, was craving toast after I danced, and wanted cookies at night. I was fine overall, but had these pockets of intense cravings. I figure that's normal - like caffeine withdrawal - carbs/sugar withdrawal.

Tuesday: 1189 (activity: 35 min Team Guidance - sweating on the elliptical)
* I felt pretty good today - I had no large cravings, I just thought about more food than I ate.

Wednesday: 1388 (activity: 30 min walking)
* I'm feeling nervous about today because I was hungry during lunch and snacked a lot on almonds and raisins. I think that's because that was my lunch - I had my pho soup for a late breakfast (11ish), and that was the only thing of substance I had until just now - 9pm, when I had 3/4 cup of lean ground turkey and a handful of mini carrots with a cup of grapefruit juice. I know that doesn't sounds like a lot - and believe me it didn't look like a lot when I put it into my bowl, but I am just full enough right now and content. I feel like I (mentally) want to eat more - like I wasn't finished, but (physically) am all set.


I'm gearing up for tomorrow - eating out with family tends to bring back old habits of eating. My goal in eating with my dad is to : (a) portion out my food so I know exactly how much I'm eating, and (b) eat slowly, waiting at least 5 minutes after my first portion (1 cup) to get my feeling of fullness so I can stop in time. My third related goal is to jog 20 minutes when I get home later that nite. Wish me luck!


In other news, my friend T just had gastric bypass surgery yesterday. I visited her yesterday and today...she's doing well, but the drugs and pain have definitely put a veil over her energeticness and boisterousness, which was a little eery yesterday. She's doing better today, is getting up to walk down the hall and back (no small feat!), and will be released in the next day or so. Keep her in your thoughts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home