Carrots, Anyone?

Monday, April 07, 2008

Well, it's Official...

...I have shin splints. DURG! OK, as official as asking my boss, who is a runner. My shins have hurt since I came back from my run last nite. The pain hasn't dissipated today. It's uncomfortable walking - I get twinges of pain. SO, no more running for the next 3-5 days. Biking, elliptical, and swimming only. And it's aggravating because I feel like when I fractured the top of my foot last year - like I'm going to lose momentum. I didn't do anything today (I had an eye appt after work, and then came home in time to cook dinner and relax).

The good thing about today, is that I felt full eating all my calories, and I was happy. Full as in satisfied. I did overeat tonite - I made two small burritos although I could have just had one (or really, half of one) and been fine (because I started off with a salad). So, I feel like I did two wrongs tonite and that makes me not happy. I'll focus on tomorrow and try to reign myself in.

Good news: I don't have to suck in my belly to fit into and wear my jeans from LB! They've typically been too tight - barely close-able, and my belly would mushroom over it like an overgrown mushroom. Now, I can zip it up without issue, and I don't have to suck in my belly because it doesn't spill over anymore. AWESOME! I just want to keep up with it this week since I'll be out of commission.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger Taunia said…

    Dude, sorry to hear about the shin splits - that's rough. You know, you *may* want to take a trip to the doctor's office. I don't mean to scare you, but when I got them, it took several weeks for them to heal - and I wasn't even a runner! I don't think 3-5 days is enough time to heal, so check with your doc. BUT, the good news is you can switch to weights and crunches for a while. Don't lose motivation....keep doing SOMETHING! :)

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Carrots, Anyone? said…

    The crappy thing about my doctor is that the earliest appt I could get is May 5. Aaaaaand, the first time I can get a physical with her? OCTOBER!!! I think I need to switch doctors. Unbelievable. But, you're right - I need to check on the progress of the shin splints, and I need to keep motivated and keep going.

     
  • At 12:49 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    Sorry about your shin splints... That's no fun! Maybe see it as an opportunity to try things you haven't recently, like yoga or mat-based pilates.

    Nice work with the jeans too. Amazing what a difference it makes when your clothes fit well, isn't it?

    Keep on truckin', Missy!

     
  • At 12:53 AM, Blogger Aimee said…

    p.s. Yes -- May 5th and October are WAY too long to wait to see your doc! Not sure of your insurance, but several people I used to work with found doctors they *loved* at the Marino Center in Cambridge on Mass Ave: www.marinocenter.org

     

Post a Comment

<< Home