Carrots, Anyone?

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Week 11 Results: -1.6

Oops! I forgot to post from this past week. I lost 1.6 pounds which puts me at 240.2. Only 0.2lbs away from getting into the 230's, and I cannot be more excited about that!!!

And while I was slightly disappointed I hadn't lost more weight, I have to keep telling myself that (1) I most likely gained/beefed up my muscles from running, and (2) Healthy weight loss is no more than one or two pounds a week. So 1.6 is incredible.

I also weighed myself the day after Thanksgiving and saw that I had only gained 0.5 lbs. I think that was due in large part to eating a nice Chinese dinner for Thanksgiving - seafood soup w/ vermicelli noodles, bitter melon in black bean sauce, and West Lake soup (minced beef, cilantro and egg white in a thickened chicken broth - delish!!). I ate in moderation, and had run on the elliptical machine for an hour in the morning.

My BMI is around a 40 right now...it's going down slowly but surely. It's roughly 1 BMI point for every 10 lbs lost. I was researching BMI tho, and it said that it can overestimate fat content for athletic or muscular builds. Now, anyone that knows me knows that my legs are quite muscular (OK except for my inner thighs). For instance, when I went to go get calipered to find my body fat percentage, the calipers couldn't even grab onto anything on my outer thighs because they were all muscle, no fat. That said, I will use the BMI as a reference (as with everything else), but I know I'm never going to get in the non-obese or non-overweight category, because becoming a BMI of 29.9 means I'd have to lose 100 lbs, and with my big bones and muscles, that's not reasonable or desireable. So, my goal is a BMI of 35ish. That represents a 50 lb weight loss from where I am today: which'll put me at around 190 lbs. Who knows, this may change as I get closer to the goal and can better assess my body and weight, but this is where I'm setting my goal at this point.

Another thing, I was thinking about what spurred me to start jogging. It was a combination of different things. My boyfriend's mom had lost around 20 lbs under doctors orders, and that got me thnking about all the excuses I gave to myself and others for not being able to lose weight. Also, I was plateuing on WW, going up and down 2-3 lbs every couple of weeks and felt I had done as much as I could do eating-wise to positively affect my weight loss. I was also tired of talking myself down after passing the pond every day after work and not stopping to walk for various excuses. And not walking around the block after I got home again, for various excuses. And my WW buddy and I started a competition between ourselves to see who could earn the most activity points in one week (each point is roughly equivalent to 15 minutes of low-impact activity). Basically, I was tired enough of continuing doing things the way I was doing them, and motivated enough to do something about it.

So, I'm enjoying jogging. I like doing it at night because it's more of a private experience - not people watching or judging my body type or the speed with which I jog. I like jogging around my block because I don't have to cross any streets and worry about being run over. I know I'll probably get sick of it in a week or so, and I'll revisit my options then, but I'm really enjoying this. I cannot wait til my Power Core Rhythms DVDs come in -- these are the latin dancing workout DVDs I was telling you about in a previous post. I'll let you know how they go, but I sure am looking forward to them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home