Carrots, Anyone?

Thursday, March 06, 2008

A (Re)new Leaf...

So it's been 10 months since I've last written. In that time, I've lost 13 lbs and gained it back again. I've gotten connected with some co-workers and newer friends at the same time, both groups of which want to focus on fitness. So, welcome Team Fitness from work (TF), and Divas Livin' out Loud (DLOL) from friends! TF started last week: we meet twice a week after work to go around the track and then do cardio/weights in the weight room. We work at a school, and can use the school's indoor track and weight room for free. It's been great. I started out pretty much back at my starting weight watchers weight. By Thursday I lost 1 lb. This Tuesday I had lost another, and today I was down one more. I've lost 3 lbs since last Tuesday - only a week and a half, and by only doing 30-35 minutes of cardio. I feel so much more alert and active overall...it's been great!

I mainly wanted to write today because I had hit a milestone. I walked/jogged 3 miles today! 33 times around the indoor track. The first 12 times round were horrible: I felt completely out of breath, I had cramps in my side, and my knees ached like what! By rounds 13-18 I was feeling pretty good, and felt like keeping going. My initial goal was to make it to a mile (11 rounds), as we hadn't made it that far since starting TF. However, once I passed 11, I figured I'd go to 2 miles. Then when I passed that, I thought what the hell - 3 miles! Some other members of TF came in around lap 22, and I convinced one of them to jog 3 laps with me (with 2 laps of walking in between each). I finished the last lap on my own as they headed to the weight room, and I was SO excited at making this milestone, that I exclaimed 'MUTHAFUCKA!' and pumped my fist in the air. I hardly swear, but this felt worth it :) It took me 40 minutes to do, but I made it.

My DLOL group is ramping up - we're starting a blog to motivate ourselves and each other. We each have something that's going to work for us health and activity-wise, so it'll be interesting to compare stories. I'll post the link as soon as we have it. I'm excited - I feel like I'm back on the upswing for this lifelong journey, but this time around, I have a support network. Wish us luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home