Carrots, Anyone?

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

WW Week 2 - First "Cheat Dinner"

So I gained 2/10 of a pound this past week. I'm not stressing it. Considering I ate unhealthily the last couple of days, and considering I ate right before going to the meeting tonite because I (unintentionally) skipped lunch, and considering the weight could be from any of a number of factors, I'm not stressing it.

What I am stressing about is the "cheat dinner" - where we just eat whatever and however much we want the night of our meeting. Well, I don't know if "stressing" is the right word, but "not happy with the outcome" is more the phrase I'm looking for. I "cheated" with 5 crab rangoons, 4 pieces of orange chicken, a cup of veggie fried rice, and a cup of double cooked pork. Not a heck of a lot of food, but guess what? I found out that it was 57 points (the crab rangoons accounted for almost half - 23 points). Waaaaaaaaay too many points for the amount of food - and it's two hours later and I'm hungry again! I've been thinking of the chocolate brownie I have tucked away in the fridge and how much I want to eat it. I got a cup of water instead. It's doing the trick. For now.

So, I think I realized that cheat nite's not worth it - I still have over half the food left, meaning I'll be munching on it through the week, meaning I'll be eating less food for more points for at least the next two days, meaning I'll be hungrier, meaning I'll eat more of other things, meaning I'll go over points, meaning it'll be a helluva hard time to actually lose any weight. I'll be punishing myself the whole week for one nite of cheating. At this rate, I won't lose any weight.

I think I'm going to think of "cheat nite" as "treat nite" - meaning I am going to treat myself to a week of delicious and healthy leftovers by ordering something delicious and low in points. I'll probably splurge on one item - maybe an appetizer or dessert - which won't put me into the hole so far. That way, I'll feel good about it the whole week. Right now, I'm resenting having to (ok I don't "have" to, but I am feeling very opposed to wasting the food) eat the rest of the Chinese food because it's going to throw me off for the week. I want to feel happy and "treated" to eat my leftovers for the rest of the week. And I want it to help me get to my goal, not keep me where I am or push me in the other direction.

I also learned that I need to be more active. I walk 15 minutes a day with a co-worker at lunch, and that equates to 1 activity point. If I'm going to treat myself food-wise, I've got to treat myself activity-wise by being more active so the food treat doesn't impact the week as heavily. I've always enjoyed dancing - I'll go to clubs and dance for 2-3 hours straight. I think I may have a 'personal dance party' at home the days I'm not busy right after work (Wed-Fri) and dance for 15-60 min depending on my mood. This never feels like "exercise" - just expressing myself creatively.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger Taunia said…

    I totally understand your feelings about cheat night, and I'm sorry if I contributed negatively to your progress by suggesting and participating in it. You have to do what feels right for you, and I fully support that.

    For me, I'm pretty strict with myself during the week and I stay within my points. Having a "cheat night" for me is important: it allows me to splurge on the "bad" food I love for one meal each week, and happens at a point where I have a whole week to continue to do well. That way, I dont' feel deprived and if I'm really craving something "bad," I can hold off until cheat night to have it.

    I guess the difference is that I got rid of the leftovers. :) When I picked Julip up at my parent's house, I gave the leftovers to my dad. That way, I'm not tempted and don't eat any more of it, and the food isn't wasted.

    I think the solution is to find a place that has both healthy and "cheat night" choices so that we can do what works best to help each of us stay on track. :)

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Carrots, Anyone? said…

    No worries, I'm glad you introduced me to the concept because I like it for a variety of reasons: letting my hair down food-wise, celebrating a week well done, celebrating a new start to a new week, and spending more time with you.

    I'm also glad I found out earlier rather than later that I should attack "cheat nite" a little differently to keep me going. I don't blame you nor do I think you are a negative influence - it was my decision to do the nite and choose the food, and it is a learning experience to assemble the nite differently.

    I think it's great we can come at it from different angles and both experience success. Onward and upward!

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger Taunia said…

    I actually did some more thinking about it last night, and I think I've come up with a new plan for myself.

    We have 35 flex points each week. What I get on cheat night depends on how many flex points I've used.

    For instance, if I've used them all, then I'm not going to going on a chinese food binge that night. However, if I have a lot left over, I'm not going to feel guilty about getting something that's more fattening if I crave it.

    I just need to keep a handle on being gluttonous on cheat night. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home