Carrots, Anyone?

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

So What's This All About, Anyway?

If you have not already guessed, I am (re) joining Weight Watchers. First meeting is tomorrow. I started earlier this year but stopped in June. Since then, I have gained what looks to be 8 lbs. I am at the heaviest I have been in my life. This, in and of itself, does not bother me as much as the lifestlye impacts it has had: hard to play pick up sports, hard to sleep comfortably, increased heart disease risk, etc., etc., etc. It is basically getting in the way of me living the life I want to lead.

My first priority for joining Weight Watchers is my health. The looks are an ancillary benefit. I am fortunate in that I (try to) minimize the pressure to value myself based solely/primarily on my appearance. I use my personality, my intelligence, and my character. If only the world would come around :)

So, healthwise, my BMI is around 45. I carry my weight well, but I think that has given me the privilege of not taking my unsuccessful attempts at gaining a healthy life style (as opposed to "weight loss" only) seriously enough.

My focus right now, is to get the eating right. Being active is a challenge, and I have something worked out to try, but right now, my focus is to learn how to stop eating when I'm full (I was raised to finish my plate, so I'm used to my portion dictating my hunger).

I am using this blog as a (hopefully) daily account of my journey. It is more for me, not you, which is why it's written in stream-of-consciousness, note-taking fashion. I hope some of you men and women out there who see this, may read it and use it to help you in your struggles, or to be respectful and supportive of the fact that these challenges exist for people around you. Please feel free to leave suggestions of what has worked for you, or share disappointments or setbacks. It IS a lifetime journey, isn't it. I get stronger each time I come back to making a commitment to move to a healthy lifestyle. I can't let my failures dictate my future.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home